Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thoughts From Today's "Senate Watching"

I have to say, I've never had an opportunity to watch our legislators in session. Yes, I know, in Virginia you can go online and watch live via streaming video, I just haven't taken the time to do that. It's been an interesting experience watching the debate between opposing sides and hearing the passion with which each side defends its viewpoint.

I really never thought about the process in which a bill is passed into law. Well, I take that back...School-House-Rock had a great teaching about a Bill becoming a law, that I remember from when my kids were little! LOL! Ok, other than that, when I was in school US Government was NOT my subject of choice!

Everything we observed today on the bills that were discussed has to be repeated in the House of Delegates...each bill has to go through the particular committee that it's related to and go through whatever changes they make. From the House Committee it will go to the House Floor and be discussed, go through three formal readings, and then be voted upon, with whatever changes or amendments they decide upon. After a bill is passed in both the Senate and House it goes to the Governor's office for his changes and final approval or disapproval.

I have a renewed interest in the Legislative process after being here today, and appreciate the fact that I live in a country that operates under a republic and allows me to not only observe my lawmakers in action, but to sit here with my laptop and report what's happening without censorship. May we never lose that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment